Disclaimer

Please, proceed carefully following the tips published in this blog, specially when Main Power is involved. I'm not responsible for any damages caused by what is written in this blog.
Thank you

Friday 19 January 2018

Home Automation System - Alarm and OpenHAB...my idea




I can't believe it!!! I reached a little goal...Home Alarm and OpenHAB together...

I know...It seems a simple thing...today home alarm systems can be remote controlled ... but the old ones (as mine is...) don't...

My target was to view the input status of all sensors / radars in my home alarm system...I don't like remote controller...just remote monitoring...

So, it's quite simple: I have to integrate all sensors / radars with a device, as Arduino or similar ones, and gets the input status (OPEN / CLOSE).

I have to know what kind of signal is transmitted by sensors / radars...I discovered the wires from the sensors / radar and with the tester I found the voltage is about 4.5v when the signal is HIGH and 0 when the signal is low.

I made some test with my main entrance door so I confirmed this behaviuor. Door OPEN, 4.5v on the terminal...DOOR closed, 0 voltage.

Now, I have to find a device with at least 11 GPIO 4.5v tolerant

I can choose between:

- a NodeMCU ESP8266 device, with integrated wifi; but it accepts only 4 volts


- an Arduino UNO with ethernet shield, with GPIO 5v tolerant;


The first choice would be the best, because we have integrated wifi and a very small layout...but I have to step down voltage from 4.5v to 3.3v (max)

Otherwise, using Arduino UNO, the voltage is already OK but I need a new shield (ethernet shield)

Idea!!!!!


Raspberry PI3 where OpenHAB and MQTT broker are running, has a lot of GPIO on its board. I could use them. But these GPIO works with 3.3v max. No problem...I will build an interface device with voltage divider...

Then I could use an OpenHAB bindings (see https://github.com/openhab/openhab1-addons/wiki/GPIO-Binding) to manage GPIO, so no needs for an external software...

Summarizing:

 - take all alarm input wires to the Raspberry PI3
 - build an interface to step down voltage from 4.5v to 3.3v
 - download and setup of GPIO binding of OpenHAB (see https://github.com/openhab/openhab1-addons/wiki/GPIO-Binding)
 - make a new sitemap to see the alarm device input

In the next post, I will descrive the operational phase of work

No comments:

Post a Comment